Thursday, October 19, 2006

Night of Nights

Wow, it's been so long since I have written anything here, what with computer troubles and such. Finally, I can add something new here.

The last 2 nights at work have been interesting to say the least. Actually last night was the interesting one. For those of you who don't know what I do, I spend most of my night on the road. I work with a transport truck driver, and the two of us load and unload the trailer together when we get to where we are going. It's hard work, but my work partner and I get along very well, so that makes it ok.

My work partner has been off for a few days, so the company has gotten drivers from a temp agency. I have to say that whenever this happens, it usually works out ok. Not last night tho. When the hard work started, the temp asked where he could fill up his water bottle, so I said I would show him where the water cooler was. He then proceeded to give me his water bottle so I could fill it for him. No, I don't think so, you can do that yourself. Not really a great first impression.

He then asked where the washroom was, so I showed him where it was, and then he disappeared until I loaded the truck myself. Pushing 15 1000 - 1500 lb carts full of stuff onto to a trailer is tiring.

After we were all loaded up, off we went, and I soon learned that this guy had NO clue where he was going, at all. He is also directionally challenged, so when I said turn right, he went left. This made for a very very long night.

When it got dark, I also learned that the temp driver couldn't really see very well at night. When I opened the gate at one of our destinations, I had to jump out of the way because he started to go before I was clear. He couldn't see me. I told him to watch out getting through the now open gate, cause it was a tight fit. He blew that off, and then proceeded to scratch the side of the brand new $75 000 trailer on the gatepost I told him to watch out for. Arg.

It took him about 15 mins to finally back into the dock, and then he disappeared as usual when the work started, so I wound up doing all of the work myself. When we finally got back, it took another ten minutes to back in (it usually takes about 30 seconds). He knocked over two barrels that are set up to help guide him in. He couldn't see them. Big bright yellow barrels.

I was so glad to finally finish up last night, and be on my way home.

When you combine all of this with a hot water tank that decided to leak all over the floor, yesterday was a GREAT day :)

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

have the locust's shown up yet?

Just checking..........

1:10 p.m.  
Blogger Rich said...

As much of a pain in the butt as it was, think of all the people who will laugh when you make fun of the guy!

3:54 p.m.  
Blogger jin said...

Well, think of it this way:
Things can only get BETTER!!!

Ummm...if not, there's always vanilla cake!
;-)

11:25 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jin - VANILLA with LEMON, DONT forget the lemon, the reaction would be just HORRID if you forgot the lemon

9:03 a.m.  
Blogger jin said...

*GASP*
I knew that andrea!!!!
I was just testing YOU to see if YOU remembered!!!
;-)

5:52 p.m.  
Blogger Jaci said...

That is one crappy night John but thanks for making my laugh!

10:19 a.m.  
Blogger John said...

Andrea - no not yet, but I will let you know when they do

Rich - actually, that was just the beginning, things got worse, but that's another post :)

Jin - mmmmm.... vanilla cake

Andrea again - thanks for remembering the lemon part - and I know jin remembered too lol

Jaci - I'm glad it made you laugh, I am now, but I sure wasn't last week :)

2:11 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home